PARADIGMA - Participative Approach to Disease Global Management - 112
Eumedis Project number: 112
EC Project code: 112
Contract "signature" date: 2002-10-09
Planned start date: 2002-11-01
Planned duration: 31 months
Planned end date: 2005-05-31
Actual start date: 2002-11-01
Total Budget: 2.311.785,00 ?
Sector: Healthcare networks
The Health Care Context is:
• Complex - High number of activities, actors, tools, resources, responsibilities;
• Distributed - Many complex and heterogeneous communication processes;
• Heterogeneous - Different social, cultural, scientific and technological situations;
• In a continuous evolution process;
• It has to be supported:
- Globally to grant coherency and integration between functional, organisational and management decisions.
- Dynamically to enable globally verifying different solutions in terms of efficiency and effectiveness of final results.
The following areas have been selected:
• Prophylaxis of thrombo-embolism and monitoring of anticoagulant treatment
• Infant death reduction
• Colorectal cancer
• Intensive care (evaluation and improvement of performance).
Why these diseases? They approach the idea of “Global Disease Management”, from prevention to emergency medicine, from birth to advanced age.
Information technologies have already been experimented in these diseases, with very promising results: quality improvement (better patients’ outcomes, increased adherence of operators to evidence-based guidelines) and reduction of costs.
• The project will deploy an Internet based network and a set of working services aimed to support Global Management of major Diseases, by enabling scientific resources and findings share.
• Integration of knowledge base and medical expertise from local experiences;
• Participative approach in developing context-adaptable protocols (Clinical Pathways);
• Euro-Mediterranean wide solution, user-friendly and optimised for each operative context;
• One single entry point, web based (portal);
• A framework ready for incremental grown of knowledge base and diseases addressed.
This project applies a Participative Approach to Disease Global Management to develop and demonstrate, in a pilot study, an Internet based reference framework to share scientific resources and findings in the treatment of major diseases.
PARADIGMA defines and disseminates a common methodology and optimised protocols (Clinical Pathways) to support service functions directed to patients and individuals on matters like prevention, post-hospitalisation support and awareness.
PARADIGMA will provide a platform of information services - user oriented and optimised against social, cultural and technological constraints - supporting the Health Care Global System of the Euro-Mediterranean Community in a continuous improvement process.
PARADIGMA will integrate "point-solutions" in a reference structure, in order to achieve a knowledge-based platform that can be continuously enhanced to meet renewal and learning needs of all actors, through the concept of participation.
Its goal is the deployment of a network based information system to interconnect, using user friendly, context adaptive and affordable solutions the actors at all levels in the Health Care Systems of the Euro-Mediterranean region with the scope of supporting and promoting a “PARticipative Approach to Disease Global Management”.
The Competence Groups will define the following aspects of the Clinical Pathways:
WHAT: the action;
WHY: the reason of the action ;
HOW: the action will be realized.
The Pilot Sites will provide the Competence Group with the following information:
WHERE: the action is carried out;
WHEN: the action is carried out;
WHO: has to perform the action.
This procedure will help to customise the Clinical Pathways of the system.
The OBJECTIVE of PARADIGMA is, of course, not to give a complete answer to health care needs, but to provide some effective tools to start. These tools will be the models which could be further developed and or applied in different areas.
The Internet based information system will provide friendly, context adaptive and affordable solutions to the main actors of the Health Care Systems. The tools will be friendly and powerful enough to support the Health Care Operators in the Disease Management. Computerized tools will be realized in order to help the health care operators in the prophylaxis, diagnosis and treatment of some selected diseases. The tools will be flexible not only to patients’ requirements, but also to local requirements and differences in the Health Care Systems.
1. Project web server.
2. Clinical Pathways.
3. Telematic services providing operative support and inter-operability.
4. A reference model and framework.
5. A continuous improvement process to extend and refine the knowledge base.
6. A new and more effective working methodology.
The project's structure is quite elaborated.
4 sub-projects, dealing respectively with the management and coordination, the MEDA pilot sites, the 4 specific pathologies, the ITC technologies, are divided into 12 WPs.
Each WP has a specific leader, as each task within the WP. Some tasks and/or deliverables are divided into 9 (as the pilot sites) or 4 (as the selected diseases) parts.
Web site: http://www.paradigmamed.org
Project Coordinator: Piermannuccio, MANNUCCI (more details ...)
Project Manager: Carle, Reyneri (more details ...)